What is Google Classroom?
Google Classroom is a platform for communicating with your class online, similar to Edmodo. Classroom is great for teachers who often use Google Docs, Slides, and other Google products with their students. It makes sharing documents, creating templates, collaborating, and keeping your Google Drive organized a whole lot simpler!
Setting Up Your Classes
The great thing about Google Classroom is that you already have an account through the district. Simply log on to classroom.google.com on your Mac/PC or download the Classroom app from iTunes on your iPad. Log in with your Grandview C4 Google account.
- Locate the plus symbol on your screen and tap/click it.
- Select 'Create Class'
- Name your class
- Give it a section number
- Click 'Create' (PC/Mac) or 'Save' (iPad)
- Repeat for all classes
Adding students is as simple as locating your course code (just like Edmodo). To find the code for your class, use the steps below:
- Click on the class you'd like the code for
- Go to the Students tab
- Your class code will be located on that page
- Students will log in to Classroom using their Grandview Google account credentials (Semail@example.com, network password)
- They will need to find and select the plus symbol
- Select 'Join Class'
- Type in the Class Code you have provided
Creating an Assignment (or an Announcement)
- Open the desired class
- Locate and tap/click the plus symbol (bottom, right corner)*
- Select Create Assignment
- Give it a title
- Give it a description (optional)
- Select a due date (and time, if you want)
- Add attachments, Google Drive files**, YouTube videos, or web links (on the iPad, you will have to click on the paperclip in the top, right corner to reveal attachment options)
- Choose which class(es) to share the assignment with
- Click Assign (on the iPad, click the Send arrow in the top, right corner)
*Note: You must be on the Stream to create new posts.
** With Google Drive files, you can select what type of access to give students (can view, can edit, or make a copy for each student- this option is great for templates!)
Creating and Using Templates
One of the coolest features of Google Classroom is the ability to create a template and share it with each student individually so that they can edit and follow your exact specifications! Creating a template is extremely easy:
- Create a new Google Doc, Slideshow, Spreadsheet, etc. (any Google Drive tool can be used to create templates!)
- Edit your document to create a template that you would like students to follow
- Name your template
- Close the window
- Follow the Creating an Assignment instructions above and when you get to step 7, select Google Drive files
- Select your template from Google Drive
- Choose 'Make a copy for each student' from the drop-down menu options
- Click Assign
The Classroom Layout
Assignment Display (on the left)
Assignment details, submission pages, comments, posts, and announcements are displayed here. This is where you will create new assignments and announcements.
A list of students enrolled in that classroom is located under the Students tab. Teachers can email students directly (high school only), remove students from the class, and control students' posts.
Upcoming assignments (by due date) and course code (in teacher view) are located here.
This section gives a course description and provides students with important (or frequently used) documents, such as the course calendar, syllabus, etc.
iPad Tips and Tricks
Signing Out of Classroom